Saturday, April 9, 2016

April 4, 2016 - Columbus, GA

Hey Y'all!

I hope you enjoyed conference as much as I did, haha I thought it was interesting that before the mission I somewhat dreaded conference because of how long it was and whatnot but now conference is something I look forward to all year and I cant wait for the next one!  Thats pretty crazy! Its been really hard being away from basketball and especially around this time of the year, but Im glad to see an update on it:) I'm glad that you are looking into the next challenge of getting a house in Utah. I've met a lot of missionaries here that would be more than willing to help us out too with knowing how to build and how to save costs. But I hope that, thats going well and keep me updated with it please:)

This past week has been another busy one here in Columbus and I love it:) Being the senior companion definitely has its challenges and you definitely learn how to use your time effectively and plan well. This week I definitely realized the power of planning and making sure you and your companion are on the same page.

On Tuesday, Elder Haines and I crossed the Chattahoochee river again and went on exchanges in Phenix City. Elder Cobler and I went on exchanges after the district meeting and Elder Cobler and I talked about our plans after the mission and he told me that he plans on going to Utah State and be on the cross country and track team. We also did service for the Johnsons here, and we were asked to help them move mouse poop covered wood, crawling with cockroaches the size of your pinky and the wood pile was about 8 feet tall and being somewhat inexperienced with stacking wood, we didnt think it mattered of what size of the wood went on the bottom, so being inexperienced we pout the small pieces on the bottom and the big pieces on top... and welll you can already see what is happening here and we got a call from her later in the day saying that the wood pile fell and so we went back and now I know how to stack wood:) We also met with the Maldonados and talked to them about faith and why its important.

On Wednesday we switched back and had district meeting with our district, then Elder Haines and I went over to a members haircut salon and got our hairs cut:) She did a pretty good job but I'll let you guys decide that from the pictures. Later that night we had a Just Serve webinar with some members of the high council in the stake and we talked about how Just Serve will help strengthen the communities and bind members together.

On Thursday, we were running low on miles and so we biked pretty much all day, but our first stop was at the church and we planned and waited for our lesson with Jazmin Henderson, but she ended up not being able to come because of some conflicts. So we started to bike back home and it was around this time where I knew it was gonna rain and in Georgia when it rains....it rains!! And we were on the way to go home for lunch and we saw Sister Johnson putting rocks on her new RV parking spot and we stopped by and gave her a hand. It was pretty funny because Sister Johnson's house is the first house by a busier road and people were constantly giving us strange looks because we were two white boys, in white shirts and ties, shoveling rock into a driveway in the rain. But right as the rain started to get bad we finished it for her and realized that we had to go home in it. We waited at the Johnsons til it cleared up a bit and headed back home. But you know every time you ride in the rain your wife is going to that much more attractive:) haha. But later in the day we stopped by recent converts house and visited with her because she fell and hurt her ankle and needed someone to talk to.

Friday was a pretty interesting day... We had MLC in Macon and it was raining throughout the whole night and it was in the morning. But we decided to take the back roads because the drivers in Georgia are bad when the sun is shining and I didn't want the headache of driving in the rain on highways so we took the side roads and boy was it a good decision. All the creeks that we passed through were overflowing and it was quite the sight to see. We got to Macon safely and received training from President Cottle and the leadership here. Throughout the entire MLC meeting the thunder shook the room and the meeting saved us from being soaking wet that day. But I learned a lot about integrity and doing the right thing even if no one is watching. As well as the difference between joy and happiness. And that joy is a full feeling while happiness is fleeting. I also had the crazy experience of me and Elder Duran, my 2nd half trainer and I were zone leaders together! It was a pretty crazy experience!! After MLC we drove back and met with Chris Stevens and read the book of Enos with him.

Saturday/Sunday was General Conference and we watched the first session at a members house. It was really a good way to start off conference! There was a lot of good insight I received from conference but because of the lack of time I'll share my highlight for Saturday and Sunday. I learned that Jesus Christ was the best leader because he was the best follower and that applies directly to us that if we are in a leading position that we should be humble enough to also be a follower of Jesus Christ. I also enjoyed Elder Hollands talk at the end where he talked about how we need to keep trying and even though we may come off those spiritual mountain tops we need to remember those spiritual moments and use them to keep moving forward. I actually had to miss the first session on Sunday because I was at Ft Benning with the soldiers, but I was able to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ to them and it went very well. We also got a call from president Cottle and he told us of a solider who needed a blessing so we went over to the Ft Martin Army hospital and gave him a blessing. This whole week seemed very filled with injuries and accidents from everyone and as we went in for the day, we got a call at 10:00 last night where someone was playing and fell onto a pointy object and it pierced her lung and so we got dressed and rushed over there and missed her by five minutes but we gave a blessing to her mom and I really felt the love she had for her. But we are going to go over today and give the daughter a blessing too.

But I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

Thanks for all your prayers and support!

-Elder Mitchell Hill
 
My Second Half Trainer and now ZL's!

I Promise it is Raining!

I Spotted this Gator!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment